Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Research Paper RD Proposal

For my research paper I am going to look at how technology has changed the delivery of health care in hospitals.  I will be looking at how it has changed the duties that the workers have to perform and the number of people needed to do certain tasks.  Another part of the delivery I want to look at is how the safety of prescriptions has changed due to the technology that has hopefully reduced the amount of human error.  One other type of delivery I would like to research is how smaller towns, such as Bemidji have been affected by the advancements in medical technology.  For instance I know that some of the radiologists for Sanford in Bemidji are on the other side of the world, reading the x-rays in their home, to give us a diagnosis.  I would interview both my parents for this paper.  My dad is a pharmacist and does the software for the hospital so his job and people he works with has changed dramatically over the 25 years he's worked at the hospital.  My mom has worked in a hospital for a long time as an RN.  She has worked both on the floor and in a director position.  My mom would have good insight in the changes of the hands on care of the patients and my dad would have good insight in the changes of safety for prescriptions and both know how small towns like Bemidji have changed to rely on more of the outside world for means of health care delivery.  For this paper I will be looking at medical research but also possibly set it up as a compare and contrast essay.

2 comments:

  1. That's a really good topic to choose. I know technology within hospitals throughout the country have changed dramatically. My used to work as a nurse at Sanford, but she decided to go back to school instead to have a better paying job in the medical field. While she was there she noticed a lot of things that changed from the patient side. She worked with mostly elderly people who had health issues. Sanford changed a lot regarding their patients my mom noticed when she was working there. Not in a good way necessary either. That is a very good way to get both looks at it by your mom and your dad. you could maybe interview like a older patient who would be able to tell you the differences and how it affected them as a patient. I like your idea Goodjob! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic is very original and it is something I would have never thought to choose. It sure sounds like there will be lots to talk about. The new technology has effected all of us and so this is a very informative piece of research. I don't know all that much about it and I'm sure others feel the same way. I know that you too have talked about being an RN so I am sure this topic would further help you in understanding some of the duties they face. Choosing a topic you are passionate about makes the paper so much more interesting. Sounds like It will be a good piece:)

    ReplyDelete