Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Heart of Darkness and Research Topic Idea

In the Heart of Darkness essay I am writing about how Conrad displays his value and belief that white men always need to hold power over the native Africans to, in their mind, fulfill their obligation to be a  leader to a group they view as uncivilized. I will go into detail about how the white men view the African people as undomesticated animals who are weak, powerless, and helpless. I was thinking of contrasting the physical feature descriptions of the Africans to the physical features of the white men, specifically Kurtz. I was going to use the quote when they describe his head to show how much everyone venerated him and all the power he held. Then I was going to tie these two descriptions and outlooks together to show how the white man's physical features let the reader know who is in charge and has power. But more importantly how they use that power to justify their invasion into Africa and disrupting the lives of the Africans because they do not operate the same way they do in Europe.

A topic for my research paper I was thinking of doing was how has technology changed the delivery of health care? I know its pretty general topic but I was thinking of looking at specific areas such as the positive and negative impacts on jobs, the level of safety in the production of drugs, and how little communities like Bemidji are in contact with people on the other side of the world for medical advise. Any suggestions to narrow it down would be great!

2 comments:

  1. Shaena, I really like your idea on how technology has changes the world of health care. I know you said it was very broad, but that might be an okay thing since the paper will be so long and there will be many thing you can talk about. I think it would be interesting if you researched the job outlooks into the medical area and wrote about how some jobs will not be here in ten years because they have become obsolete due to the advancement of technology. As you said, Bemidji has many doctors from different parts of the world such as India. I think if you could get an interview with one of these Physicians it would fit very nicely into your paper. After the interview you may even have more subjects of which you want to research based off of how your interview went. You could even talk about how the medical technology in Bemidji, even the United States is different compared to other countries around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you wrote your Heart of Darkness essay on! I like that you compared the physical features of Africans to the physical features of a white man and the quote about Kurtz's head. I also think that you could do a lot with your idea for the research paper. You could maybe answer the question by using examples of different ways that technology has advanced the health care system. You could research your topic and I'm sure you could find many articles that talk about different ways that health care has changed as a result of technology. You would just have to figure out who you could interview! In the conclusion you could maybe talk about the positive and/or negative effects that are caused by technology advancing the health care system. It is a pretty broad topic but I'm sure it would work if you took a few specific examples to look at and go into a lot of detail for each one! :)

    ReplyDelete