Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mike Rowe TED talk analysis

My favorite TED talk we have watched in class so far was the one that Mike Rowe did talking about experiences he has had on Dirty Jobs.  A quote that he said towards the end of his talk really interested me was “People with dirty jobs are the happiest”.  I think Mike is saying that having a job you enjoy doing, no matter what it is, will be better than going to a clean, easy job every day that you hate.  This idea I think is important for all seniors who are graduating from high school to keep in mind.  Graduating from high school opens many doors and paths that we can choose to take.  A career path is one that we will have to choose.  I guess the first choice is whether or not to go to college.  Most people will tell you that going to college and getting a degree is the best option for you in the long run.  But what if you do as they say and go to college to get a degree and get a high paying job, but everything about that job you hate?  Is it really the best thing for you?  I think as graduating seniors we should have an idea of what we want to do, or at least know what our passion is and a career option that can fulfill that.  Mike’s observation of the man who picks up road kill while whistling is a good example of not having a high paying or common job, but it was just what the man needed.  He was able to be optimistic in the spite of what many Americans would consider an awful job.  I’m not saying that we should sell ourselves short and settle on an easy job.  But to choose a career path that you are interested in and can see yourself liking it for years to come.  

2 comments:

  1. I really like the quote that you analyzed! I think you did a great job explaining what he means when he says that people who have dirty jobs are the happiest. They are happier in way that they get some entertainment or enjoyment out of doing the dirty work that they do in order to make money. They may not make as much money as someone who has a less enjoyable job, however they like doing what they do and they would rather have an appealing job that doesn't pay as much. I also really like how you tied the quote in with high school students, particularly seniors. This quote is like an important life lesson for us. It is explaining to us that we should pick a career choice which we find enjoyable rather than picking a field that pays lots of money but would be very boring to do for many years. Good job, I really like this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaena, I absolutely love this! You tied in Mike Rowe's TED talk in perfectly for us high school seniors to relate too. I think it is a very important aspect of your life to do something you enjoy doing everyday as well. Living a happy and fulfilling life is something I think everyone seeks. Most often money is the first thing people think of. But as you explain above, the man who picked up road kill for a living was completely content. He didn’t have all of the money in the world. He had enough to get by, but he sure was happy. I agree with you on this being something high school students need to think about while they begin to plan their future. Although money is always nice, I would rather spend the rest of my life doing something I love rather than something I hate.

    ReplyDelete